National Research Institute of Ayurvedic Drug Development (NRIADD) formerly known as Central Research Institute of Ayurveda which was earlier established as Regional Research Institute (Ay.) on 1971 at Jagannath Dutta Lane, Kolkata and then the Institute was shifted to Bidhannagar, Kolkata on 1997 in its own building. Govt. of West Bengal had provided 3 acres land in the most posh area of Kolkata (SEZ) for the present campus.
National Research Institute of Ayurvedic Drug Development is presently functioning with six departments, namely Hospital (OPD & IPD), Pathology & Biochemistry, Pharmacognosy, Chemistry, Pharmacology and Pharmacy.
- To develop an Institute as best Institute or Institute of Excellence into a dynamic, vibrant and model research organization for undertaking more and more coordinating joint research ventures, aiding and promoting research in Ayurveda.
- To focus research on the need of masses with a view to emerging health requirement of India.
- To attain global leadership in Ayurveda research for promotion of health, preventive / treatment management for lifestyle diseases and metabolic disorders.
- To bring modern scientific knowledge, technology to validate Ayurveda in scientific manner for welfare of the ailing humanity.
To develop Institute as a Centre for excellence with healthy working environment in regards to GMP accredited pharmacy, certified clinical wing and state-of-art laboratories.
- Clinical Research
- Pharmacognosy Research
- Drug Standardization Research
- Pharmacological Research
- Health care services through Out–Patient Department (OPD) and In-Patient Departments (IPDs)
- Tribal Health Care Research
- Special facility for Panchakarma and Ksharasutra therapy
- Special Clinics for Geriatric Health Care
Drug Standardization Research related Specific Manadate
- Development of safe, effective, affordable Ayurvedic drugs based on strengths of Ayurveda for National and global needs on scientific lines at par globally accepted norms.
- Development of standards for identification, collection and storage practices of raw materials.
- Development of quality control parameters and standardization of raw materials, extractives etc.
- Development of suitable pharmaceutical dosage forms and drug delivery systems.
- Development of standard operating procedures for various classical and investigational new drugs (IND).
- Development of quality, stability parameters for various classical and investigational new drugs (IND) to facilitate their registration as traditional medicine under THMPD of European Union.
- Fees for OPD registration (one time in a year): Rs. 5/-
For Senior Citizens (documents to be verified/ at the discretion of In-charge):
- OPD Registration- Free
- 30% of the rate for all other services including investigations, bed charges and procedure / operation charges.
- Research programme cases of the Council- exempted from all charges.
Patients belonging to below poverty line (BPL)
(Documents to be verified/ at the discretion of In-charge) –Exempted from all charges: Free
OPD time Schedule
- OPD registration for general patients: 10 a.m. - 12.30 p.m. Research Cases: as per time fixed by the concerned investigators: (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Reporting for adverse Drug Reactions / Events: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
OPD day ScheduleGeneral OPD: Daily (except 2nd Saturday, Sunday and Holidays) Geriatrics Health Care Clinic : Tuesday & Saturday (except 2nd Saturday)
- Reporting Adverse Drug Reaction / Events: Daily (at PPC Room 35)
- Ksharasutra Clinic for ano-rectal disease: Tuesday & Friday.
Facilities available at Hospital
- Free consultation for treatment and support service
- 20 bed strength at IPD
- In-house diet supply
- All series of quality Ayurvedic medicines are available Daily Panchakarma procedures
- Ksharasutra operation (Plan)
- Biochemistry, Pathology and Radiology test
- Tie up for CGHS empanelled laboratory for special tests
- Round the clock doctors and paramedical staff
- 24 x 7 security personnel
Visiting time at IPD
- Morning : 11 a.m. - 11.30 a.m.
- Evening : 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Panchakarma Clinic
- Ano-Rectal Clinic
- General Health Care Clinic
PATHOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT:
The Department is well equipped with modern sophisticated equipments (RA-50, Advia-60, ELISA Plus Instrument etc.). All the Pathological and Biological investigations related to blood, stool, urine etc. are carried out in regular basis. Total no. of 3,53,732 tests have been carried out in this Department for both OPD, IPD & trial patients.
DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOGNOSY
The area of research include identification of crude drugs, macroscopic studies (both qualitative and quantitative), analysis of powdered drugs, fluorescence analysis (inside UV Chamber), qualitative test, i.e., determination of identity, purity and strength, quantitative microscopy and chemo-microscopic tests for cell contents of diagnostic value.
Pharmacognostical studies on a total of 105 drug plants/parts were carried out in the past 5 years and 9 monographs on Ayurvedic plants have been prepared. This Department has enlisted the detail information on 107 Indian flok lore claims and closely engaged for developing the standard operating procedure of manufacturing of ASU drugs.
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
The Department is engaged currently with the drug standardization and isolation of marker compounds of Ayurvedic plants, which are extremely essential for proper identification of the plants. The Department has performed anticancer and cancer-chemopreventive studies on the Himalayan bitter plant, Chirayita (Swertia chirata Buch Ham) and isolated its major bitter glycosider, amarogentin and obtained two process patients. Crude drug and amarogentin for skin carcinoma and hepatocellular carcinoma have been investigated in collaboration with Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, Kolkata. The preparation of 15 monographs of important Ayurvedic plants have been done by this Department. The Department has developed one drug for the treatment of psoriasis and filed for patent.
This project is sponsored by the Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, to prepare the standard operating procedure for manufacture of Ayurvedic, Siddha and Unani Formulations. SOP of 23 Ayurvedic formulations have been completed and going to be published in the Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India. Presently, work on development of SOP of another 2 important formulations is going on.
DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOLOGY
In this Department, toxicity and pharmacological studies of various Ayurvedic and Siddha drugs (single, compound, herbo-metallic, oil and bhasmas) were carried out as per the O.E.C.D. guidelines in experimental animals. Toxicity testing of 36 formulations was carried out in the Department. This Department is also engaged for study on trial drugs received from different Institutes viz. National Research Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur, National Research Institute of Human Resource Development in Ayurveda and Siddha, Gwalior and Pharmacological Research Unit, Gujarat Ayurveda University, Jamnagar. This Department has state-of-art animal house which is approved by CPCSEA, Government of India.
DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACY
This Department is well equipped for manufacturing of Ayurvedic drugs. The ISM Drug Control, Government of West Bengal has accredited it as a GMP certified Pharmacy. This Department is manufacturing different kind of Ayurvedic formulations like capsule, tablet, ointment, vati, churna, ghanavati, ghanasatva, bhasma, taila etc. This Department has developed standard operating procedure (SOP) for manufacturing of so many Ayurvedic formulations and Council's patented products i.e. AYUSH Antarctica Tea, RCH Drugs, AYUSH-56, AYUSH-57, AYUSH-64 etc. Ayurvedic RCH Drugs are being prepared in bulk quantity and providing different trial centers of CCRAS.
Wide ranges of drugs are being prepared for this Institute (IPD & OPD) and have been tested and analyzed by Pharmacognosy and Chemistry Department. The medicine required for daily OPD & IPD patients are supplied by this Department. This Department is also engaged for incorporating of modern sophisticated technology for traditional preparations with scientific validation.
A total number of 1,13,139 patients have attended O.P.D. during the last six year (2008-2014). Out of them, 60,921 patients were males and 52,218 patients were females, which include 783 male children and 765 female children. Total 1,043 patients with different ailments were admitted in the IPD of the hospital section during the last five year as part of the clinical research. Out of which mostly cases were suffering from Amavata, Sandhivata, Vatavyadhi, Bhagandara and Arsha, Pakshaghata. Remaining were cases of Gridhrashi, Katishoola, Katigraha, Kitibha, Madhumeha etc. and were admitted on the basis of provisional diagnosis. The percentage of bed occupancy rate during the last six years (2008-2014) recorded was 79.69%, 88.33%, 75.02%, 56.96%, 107.8%, 85.34%.
The following projects have been carried in last 5 years
- Documentation of reported episodes of prevention/treatment of vector borne/ infections diseases of Ayurveda & Siddha drugs (Inter Mural).
- Implementation of National Pharmacovigilance Programme for ASU Drugs as Peripheral Pharmacovigilance Centre (PPC).
- WHO Collaborative work on preparation of document on evidence based treatment/practices of ASU, Yoga and Naturopathy system based on Research Work for general practitioners (web based document of WHO).
- Survey, catalogue and digitization of medical manuscripts in Eastern India.
Clinical Evaluation of Ayurvedic drugs in the management of obesity, chronic bronchitis, psoriasis, irritable bowel syndrome and geriatric health.
- Affiliated by the West Bengal University of Health Sciences for conducting Ph.D. Programme in two subjects, i.e. Ayurvedic medicine and Pharmacology.
- This Institute has signed memorandum of understanding (MoU) for carrying out collaborative research with six leading Institute / Medical college / Trustee body.
- This Institute had organized different International and National level conference, workshop, training, seminar, interactive seminar symposia on related to the mandate of the Institute.
- This Institute is being recognized as study centre for conducting classes for Raj-Bhasha (Official language) for the employees of this Institute and neighbouring Institutes.
- The Institute has got the sanction for new G+7 building with state–of-art facilities and its construction will be started very soon.
4-CN Block, Sector – V,
Bidhannagar, Kolkata – 700 091
Phone: Telefax No. 033-2367-3808,EPBX 033-2367-3881, Fax: 23671001