This Institute is established in 1971 and is functioning under Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS), Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India. The total area of the Institute is about 3.26 acre. It has a three storeyed building, adjoining pharmacy building and a botanical garden. The building along with adjacent land is handed over to the Council by the Punjab Government in 1971, free of cost for a period as long as the Council continues its activities with regard to the Research and Higher education in Ayurveda.
The Institute have GMP certified Pharmacy, well equipped Pharmaceutical Lab to carry out the Shelf life studies of formulations, Chemistry lab for carrying out the physico-chemical analysis of the herbal drugs/formulations and Pharmacognosy lab to carryout various parameters for drug identification for authentication. The herbal garden with more than 100 plants species and herbarium/museum have also been maintained by the section for demonstration purpose only.
General OPD and specialized OPD's such as Geriatric and Flu like illness are also running in the Institute.
The Institute has an air-conditioned multimedia conference room with a sitting capacity of 150 persons.
Pharmaceutical Research and Clinical Research focussing on Respiratory Disorders.
· Health care services through Out-Patient Department (OPD)
· IPD facilities (25 beds)
· Special clinics for Geriatric Health Care
· Outreach Activities such as Swasthya Rakshan Programme etc.
1. Clinical Research: The institute has taken up the clinical studies on Amavata (Rheumatoid Arthritis), Tamak Shwasa (Bronchial Asthma), Pakshaghata (Hemiplegia), Madhumeha (Diabetes Mellitus), Switra (Leucoderma), Shweta Pradar (Leucorrhoea), Toxicity of Surma (Toxicity of Lead Sulphide), Amlapitta (Hyperacidity), Role of Ayurvedic drugs in the post operative treatment of surgical cases, Paurush Granthi Shoth, Dermatoglyphic studies in Pradar (Leucorrhoea) and Tamak Shwas (Asthma), Mootra Pareeksha, Medoroga, Krimi Roga, Twak Roga, Malaria, Epilepsy, Raktarsha (Piles), Kashtartava (Dysmenorrhoea), Kamla (Jaundice), Vyan Bal Vaishmya (Hypertension), Non Specific Mucous Colitis, Vrana, Shool, Rakta Pradar, Hrichhula (Angina Pectoris), Rasayana/Medhya Rasayana, Mutrashmari (Urolithiasis), Kitibha (Psoriasis), Manodvega (Anxiety Neurosis).
Under Intra Mural Clinical Research Projects and Annual Action Plans the studies on Clinical Evaluation of Punarnavadi Mandura and Dadimadi Ghrita in the management of Iron Deficiency Anaemia (IDA), Clinical Evaluation of Vyosadi Guggulu and Haritaki Churna in the management of Dyslipidemia (DLD), Clinical Evaluation of Bilvadi Leha in the management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Clinical Evaluation of the efficacy of Rajahpravartini Vati, Kanchanar Guggulu and Varunadi Kashaya in the management of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), An Open Label efficacy Study of Amrita Guggulu and Pinda Taila in the management of Hyperuricemia in Gout (Vatarakta), Clinical Evaluation of Navayasa Churna in the management of Iron Deficiency Anaemia and Clinical Evaluation of Kutjarishta in the management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome were carried out.
2. Ongoing Research Projects/Programmes:
Under IMR projects Shelf Life Study of Vati, Shelf Life Study of Churna, Shelf Life Study of Ghrita, Shelf Life Study of Taila and Development of Pharmacopoeial Standards of Traditionally used Ayurvedic Fomulations are going on.
Under Annual Action Plan work on Pharmacognostical Evaluation of Medicinal Plants cited in Ayurvedic Formulary of India excluding the Plants mentioned in Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India is continuing.
Outreach activities Swasthya Rakshan Programme and Ayurveda Mobile Health Care Programme under SCSP are also going on in the institute.
3. Seminars/Workshops/ROTP's: The Institute organized one National Workshop on Quality Control of ASU Drugs with Pharma Industry as a partner on 24th January, 2009 and conducted a Seminar on intellectual property Right Day on 28.04.2009. This institute has organized a RoTP on Rasashastra and Good Manufacturing Practice during 15th - 20th Feb, 2010 and organized one National Workshop on "Innovations in Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical Research" at Ayurvedic Clinical Research Centre, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot (A satellite centre of CCRAS) on 30.03.2010.
4. Research Publications: About 150 Research Papers have been published (since inception) in National/ International Journals.
5. Submission of Monographs: The institute prepared and submitted Research Monographs Bronchial Asthma, Psoriasis (Kitibha) and Obesity (Medoroga).
Ten Comprehensive Technical Dossier monographs were prepared and submitted to the Council.
6. Institute got First prize among the central govt. offices of North Region-I, for successful implementation of official language policies in the office by the Official Language Department, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India for 2013-14 and 2014-15.
Name of the Incharge
Dr. Sanjiv Kumar, Assistant Director (Ay.)
Moti Bagh Road, Patiala-147001
0175-2306529 (Assistant Director Incharge Room)