Ayurvedic lifestyle guidelines of adopting a healthy dietary pattern together with physical activity are valuable tools in diabetes prevention and health promotion. The diet and lifestyle changes are simple, but profound, and they work.
- High fiber diet: Vegetables, fruits, grains (barley, oat, millet, whole-wheat).
- Grains: Yava (barley), Godhuma (wheat), Shali (saathi rice), Kodrava (grain variety), Bajara.
- Pulses: Chanaka (bengal gram), Adhaki (toor dal), Mudga (green gram), Kulattha (horse gram).
- Vegetables (bitter and astringent): Methika (fenugreek), Patola (pointed gourd), Karvellaka (bitter gourd), Tanduleyaka (choulayee), Vastukam (bathuva), Shobhanjana (drum stick), Rasona (garlic), Kadali (unripe banana).
- Fruits: Jambu (jamun), Amla (goose berry), Kapittha (monkey fruit), Dadima (pomegranate).
- Seeds: Methi (fenugreek), Kamala (Nelumbo nicifera), Utpala (Nymphoea alba).
- Others natural products and spices: Madhu (pure natural honey), Madhudaka (honey + water), Atasi (flax seed) oil, Sarshapa (mustard) oil, Dhani (pop corn of jawar), Laja/Murmura (puffed rice), Maricha (black pepper), Saindhava (rock salt), Hingu (asafoetida), Haridra (turmeric), Ardraka (ginger).
- Do regular physical activities, brisk walk and maintain ideal body weight.
- Yoga Asana- Vakrasana, Suryanamaskar, Agnisar prayanama, Kapalbhati kriya, Bhramari pranayama, etc.
- Avoid dairy products, Payas (rice cooked with milk), meat of aquatic animals, sugarcane products, fresh grains, fresh wine, products of jaggery, red meat, fatty oil, white salt, simple or refined sugars (white sugar, sweets, candy, cakes and pastries).
- Avoid sedentary life, prolonged sleep, day sleep.
- Avoid Alcohol, smoking, anxiety, anger.
*Adopt the life style and dietary habits under the supervision of your Doctor.
Dr. Rohit Sharma
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org