Coriander (धनिया) (seeds and leaves) is an important spice of Indian culinary since ages and also used for therapeutic purposes as well. It is also famous by the name Cilantro Seeds. Its Sanskrit Synonym is “Vitunnaka” means “helps to relieve agony ,Pain” .In Ayurveda Dhanyank is Mutral (Diuretic), Jwaraghna (Anti -Pyretic),Deepana (improves digestion ), Rochana ( improves taste ) ,Grahi (useful in mal- absorption ) & Hridya (Good for heart).
Some important uses as home remedies of Dhanyanka (Dhaniya) are:-
- Headache – Apply paste of Dhaniya leaves on forehead for 10 minutes .
- Stomatitis (mouth ulcer ) – Apply juice of Coriander leaves over the ulcers or hold the juice of Coriander leaves in mouth for 5min .
- Indigestion/vomiting/diarrhoea/dysentery - 20ml decoction prepared from 5gm. coarse powder with a Pinch of ginger powder may be taken thrice a day.
- Fever - 20ml. decoction from 5gm Powder with sugar 3-4times a day helps to alleviate fever.
- Dehydration/Excessive Thirst/sun Stroke -20ml decoction prepared from 5gm coarse powder with a pinch of salt helps in dehydration/excessive thirst/sun stroke conditions
- Cough /Cold- Use of 5 gm of Dhaniya powder as herbal tea every morning prevents cold and cough.
- Intestinal Worms – 3-5 gm powder with jaggery twice a day for 5 days.
* To read more please refer Council’s publication “Ayurvedic Home Remedies”
Dr. Seema Jain