Health is a state of homeostasis of the body doshas, Agni (digestive and metabolic fire), dhatus and removal of waste products and toxins properly. It is a state of happiness/cheerfulness of Atma (soul), indriyas (sense organs) and Mana (emotion & thought process)
Now a days in a stressful and toxic environment, our physical and mental systems accumulate toxins causing various diseases which may ultimately damage an individual’s health and wellness. The objectives of Ayurveda are:
“Swasthasya Swasthya RakshanamAthurasyaVikaraPrashmanam”
SwasthyaswasthaRakshanam i.e. people who are healthy should maintain their health and AthurasyasaVikaraPrashmanam i.e. people who are unhealthy should be made free from diseases. For this purpose, Panchakarma plays a vital role because of the fast relief it provides by expelling out the toxins from the body in a proper way detoxifying the body.
Panchakarma is the ultimate Ayurvedic detoxification of body. It also maintains balances of Doshas, digestive fire, life span, immune status, health conditions & many other factors. . Pancha means five and karma means therapeutic actions according to Acharya Charak. Thus, Panchakarma is a process that involves 5 methods:
1. Vamana(Therapeutic emesis)
2. Virechana(Therapeutic purgation )
3. Nasya(Medication through nasal route)
4. AnuvasanaVasti(therapeutic enema with medicated oil enema)
5. NiroohaVasti (enema with herbal decoction)
Benefits of Panchakarma:
· Helps restore metabolic fire (AGNI)
· Assists balance all three doshas.
· Boosts the bodies immunity levels
· Slows the ageing process.
· Helps implement a healthy diet and lifestyle.
· Reduces stress, improves relaxation & tolerance
Dr Vanmala B. Wakode