- Term Rajonivritti is made up of two words Raj means Aartava (menstruation) and nivritti means ending so it is permanent cessation of menstruation resulting from the loss of ovarian follicular activity (W.H.O.). It is confirmed by amenorrhoea of consecutive 12 months.
- In Sushruta samhita, the age of rajonivritti is mentioned as 50 years (Jarapakwashariranaam yati pachashatah kshayam ).
- Before menopause, women may have irregular menses, hot flashes, anxiety, palpitation, decrease in libido (sexual desire) etc. due to fall in estrogen and progesterone hormones in the body. This period is called as peri menopausal period.
- Vata, pitta are dominant while kapha dosha decreases during rajonivritti resulting in dhatu kshaya (loss of tissues) and other symptoms.
- Menopause is not a disease, it is a physiological phenomenon in a woman’s life due to aging.. Vata pitta shamak dravya like Shatavari, Ashwagandha, Bala etc. are helpful in coping with perimenopausal symptoms.
- Diet and lifestyle changes such as including shatpushpa (soya), mishreya (saunf) etc. in diet which are the source of phyto-estrogens and also practicing Yoga are beneficial in managing these symptoms.
Dr. Priyanka S